The Hallam/Parkin Genealogy Page
Part of the Jackson Family History
Amended 2 January 2008
|Dixon Family||Our Canadians||Braithwaite Research||School Days||Vaughan Family||Abraham Thompson|
The HALLAM family is part of my husband Barry Jackson's maternal line -
Barry's mother was Hilda Barrowcliffe;
Hilda's parents were Ernest Barrowcliffe and Winifred Dutton;
Ernest's parents were Frank Barrowcliffe and Mary Moon;
and Frank Barrowcliffe's parents were Joseph Barrowcliffe and Martha HALLAM.
This information can be accessed via the Barrowcliffe/Dutton link
Martha HALLAM's parents were Francis Hallam and Mary Horridge ; Francis's parents were Samuel and Sarah HALLAM - this page is devoted to the Family History research of Helen Kominek who is a descendant of Samuel and Sarah's son Robert Hallam and Helen explained our connection as follows:
Robert, the father of
Sarah Hallam, was the son of Samuel and Sarah who were the parents of your
Francis - so Martha and Sarah were first cousins, and Francis and Robert
Robert Hallam was married to Elizabeth Durow and had the following children
i. Emma HALLAM, b. 1855 (age 6 on 1861 census)
2. ii. Sarah Maria HALLAM b. JUNE QTR 1856.
3. iii. Robert HALLAM b. 1859.
iv. Frank HALLAM, b. 1861.
v. Hannah Mary HALLAM, b. 1865.
vi. Alice HALLAM, b. 1867.
vii. Arthur HALLAM, b. 1871.
Here's Robert and Elizabeth in the 1861 Census, living in the Village of Kirk Hallam, Derbyshire:
|Robert Hallam, Head, marr, age 30, Ironstone Miner, born Derby, Stanton||Elizabeth Hallam, wife, marr, age 29, Miner's wife, born Derby, Kirk Hallam||Emma Hallam, daur, age 6, Scholar, born Derby, Kirk Hallam||Sarah M Hallam, daur, age 4, Scholar, born Derby, Little Hallam||Robert Hallam, son, age 2, born Derby, Kirk Hallam||Frank Hallam, son, age 2mo, born Derby, Kirk Hallam|
2. Sarah Maria HALLAM, b. JUNE QTR 1856 in Basford Derby, d. 15 Nov 1907 in Doncaster vol 9c page 546 age as 52, d. at 72 Wheatley Lane Doncaster, buried PLOT SX340 in Hyde Park Cemetery Doncaster.
Sarah married William Leonard PARKIN, in the June qtr 1876 in Wakefield (vol 9c page 7).
William Leonard PARKIN was b. 21 February 1849 in Mexborough, (son of William Henry PARKIN and Anne Noble BIRKS) birth registered Doncaster vol 22 page 101, baptized 23 SEPT 1849 in Mexborough C109431, d. 10 Oct 1888 at 15 Oxford St Doncaster, death registered Dec qtr 1888 in Doncaster vol 9c pg 422, buried 12 Oct 1888 in plot SX340 Hyde Park Cemetery in Doncaster, o.
Sarah had two illegitimate sons after William's death which is perhaps why William is listed as living on his daughter's 8 April 1897 marriage certificate, occupation sea captain away at sea.
of William Leonard and Sarah PARKIN:
4. i. William Henry PARKIN b. 17 Oct 1876.
5. ii. Sarah Ann PARKIN b. 27 Feb 1878.
iii. Leonard Stanley PARKIN, b. 23 Aug 1879 in West Ardsley YKS.
iv. Frank PARKIN, b. 4 Oct 1884 in Leeds
Sarah's illegitimate sons:
1: Cyril Brundell PARKIN, b. SEPT QTR 1891. living with half sister Sarah Ann Tovey on 1901 census at 75 Cooper Street Doncaster. Speculate that middle name "Brundell" might be a clue to father.
Cyril married Nellie May Green, daughter of Charles Green on 7 June 1919 in St Mary's, Wheatley. Cyril claimed Herbert Parkin, deceased as his father; Nellie May was the daughter of Charles Green. They had a daughter Edith M. Parkin in Dec qtr 1919.
2: Harold PARKIN, b. 1895, d. 17 Jan 1915 at 72 Wheatley
Lane Doncaster (where Sarah Maria Hallam died in 1907), buried 20 Jan 1915 in
plot SX-340 Hyde Park Cemetery Doncaster, resided 1901 with sister and her
3. Robert HALLAM, b. 1859. He married Margaret COATES, DEC QTR 1877 in Leeds.
Children of Robert and Margaret HALLAM:
i. Herbert HALLAM, b. SEPT 1879 QTR in Wakefield.
ii. Lilian HALLAM, b. AGE 2 MOS in 1881 census.
iii. Annie HALLAM.
iv. Emily HALLAM.
v. Frank HALLAM.
4. William Henry PARKIN, b. 17 Oct 1876 in Ardsley YKS, d. SUMMER 1961, occupation 1901 CENSUS wagon builder. He married Kate WHITAKER, married March qtr 1898 in Doncaster vol 9c pg 841, b. OCT/NOV 1880 in Ardsley, YK (age 5 mos on 1881; 20 on 1901 census), d. SECOND QTR 1951 in Doncaster.
Children of William Henry and Kate PARKIN:
i. William Leonard Parkin, b. 1898 in Sept qtr Doncaster vol 9c pg 841
ii. Winnifred "Olive" PARKIN b. 1904.
iii. Ethel PARKIN, b. 1911 in Sept qtr in Doncaster vol 9c page 1759.
iv. Elsie PARKIN b. 1913.
v. Dora PARKIN b. 3 Apr 1916.
vi. Leslie PARKIN b. APRIL 19, 1919.
5. Sarah Ann PARKIN, b. 27 Feb 1878 in Ackworth YKS, resided 8 APRIL 1897 in 15 Oxford Street. witnesses to marriage Tom Buckley and Florence Hargreaves. She married Arthur John Henry TOVEY, married 8 APRIL 1897 in Parish Church Doncaster YKS, b. 1868 in Doncaster age 13 on 1881 census, (son of John TOVEY and Jemima HALL) b. MAR QTR 1868, d. DEC QTR 1903 in Doncaster, resided 1901 in 77 Cooper Street Doncaster, occupation 1891 Chemist Asst, occupation 8 APRIL 1897 Chemist, occupation 1901 Chemist Shop Drug Assistant.
Children of Arthur John Henry and Sarah Ann TOVEY:
i. Francis Raymond TOVEY, b. DEC QTR 1897 in Doncaster, d. POSSIBLY PRE 1901 CE in not with family on census.
ii. Cassie Maud M.TOVEY, b. DEC QTR 1899 in Doncaster. .
iii. Blanche Millicent TOVEY, b. SEPT QTR 1902. Births Sep 1902
TOVEY Blanche Millicent P Doncaster 9c 915 .
To return to the BARROWCLIFFE/DUTTON family page, click this link or go to the top and choose another link.
If anyone wants to get in touch with me regarding anything on this site please please contact me at -
hilary.jcksn "followed by" @googlemail.com and if anyone objects to anything being included on any page, or if you spot any errors/assumptions made, please also let me know.
Amended 2 January 2008